DAAD Scholarships for Postgraduate Development Studies in Germany
Foreign graduates from developing and newly industrialized countries who have at least two years of professional experience are given the chance by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) to pursue a postgraduate or Master’s degree at a public or state-recognized German university, and in exceptional cases to pursue a doctoral degree, and to earn a university qualification (Master’s/PhD) in Germany.
German universities with postgraduate development programs
DAAD PhD or Master’s
October 1–August 31, 2023 (annual)
Germany in Europe
In AY 2024/2025, the subsequent semester will start.
Level/Field(s) of Study:
programs leading to a master’s or doctoral degree in media studies, regional and urban planning, engineering and related sciences, mathematics, agriculture and forestry, natural and environmental sciences, medicine and public health, political economy, as well as economics, business administration, and political economy. Scholarship in Germany
• A comprehensive list of every postgraduate program with application deadlines in 2023–2024.
• A list of all postgraduate programs with application deadlines in 2024 or 2025.
Total prizes given:
students from eligible countries
Value, components, and duration of the scholarship:
The scholarships include health, accident, and personal liability insurance in the amount of 861 euros per month for graduates and 1,200 euros per month for doctoral candidates, unless travel expenses are paid by the home country or another source of funding.
The length of the scholarship varies by school and ranges from 12 to 24 months for master’s degrees and 42 months for doctoral degrees.
The usual scholarship recipient
• Is now working in a developing country by a governmental authority, a state, a private company, or both, and is doing so in order to plan and carry out projects and directives with a focus on development policies impacting technological, economic, or social domains.
• Has successfully completed a four-year Bachelor’s program in a related discipline.
• At the time of application, possesses at least two years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree with considerably above-average marks (upper third).
• His or her educational background shouldn’t be more than six years old.
• Passing the language exam DSH 2 or TestDaF 4 before the study program begins for German-language study courses (the scholarship covers a six-month German language course). As a result, it is necessary to produce a certificate at the time of application to demonstrate that you have a least B1 level of German.
• Proof of appropriate language competency in line with the standards of the relevant courses is required for English-language courses.
For each course, a direct application must be filed. Please visit the websites for the appropriate courses for details on the application procedure, the application deadline, and the necessary papers. The deadline often falls between August and October 2023, depending on the course.
Read the FAQs, refer to the 2024-2025 handbook, and visit the official website for thorough details on how to apply for this scholarship.